23 June, 2010

My Review


Solid Lens with Sharp Results

By Chris Biele from Oroville, WA on 6/22/2010

 

5out of 5

Pros: Works In 'A' Mode, Smooth Operation, Solid build, Tweak That Focal Plane

Cons: Loose Lock Knobs

Best Uses: Product shots, Food photography, Creative Portraiture

I bought this lens, against all logic and reason, to use as a creative portrait lens. Some may have chosen the 85mm, but I prefer the 45mm as it's closer to 50mm, my favorite length for capturing environmental portraits.

With the price of this lens being so high, I figure I'll have to do about 20 portrait sessions before I can even think about making any profit from it, but at least I'll learn a lot!

By skewing your focal plane you can completely change how the viewer sees your subject. People can be made to look miniature in their surroundings or you can focus the viewer's attention to one particular area of the the frame by making it the only area in focus.

The build quality of this lens is superb with a smooth aperture ring and a buttery smooth focus ring. That said, however, the lock knobs on the opposite sides of the tilt and shift knobs feel slightly loose and they don't do a good job of locking the lens in place.

Overall great quality and I'm looking forward to some great portrait and food sessions.

Tilted portrait w/ fp angled across face

thumbnail

Tags: Made with Product

(legalese)

No comments: